I’ve been trying to gain muscle for about the last three months.Â It very much is an exercise in futility since NONE of the men in my family can gain muscle until they’re 30 or so.Â My dad and uncles were all in the military, most of my male cousins are in now.Â None of them were/are muscular.Â Fit, yes.Â Able to run 6-10 miles at a stretch, definitely.Â Muscular?Â Never.Â So I know that the chances of my ever being able to look good in those International Male style tight t-shirts are pretty frickin’ low, at least for the next few years.
Still, I try.Â Because when I started T everyone went on about how I’d stop being so damned scrawny.Â I’d check out blogs and see all these guys who went from puny to ripped after two or three months.Â I know logically that their genetics are different from my own, but damned if that’s going to override the magic powers many of us (subconsciously) give to T.
So here’s a heads up for those of you who think T is a wonder cure: it’s not.
T will not:
- Cure your depression (though it may help a little, for me it’s a mood stabiliser so I need fewer anti-depressants)
- Transform you from geek to stud
- Make you more outgoing
- Give you a beard overnight
- Do anything overnight, really
- Cure your social anxiety (unless your anxiety is related to being seen as a woman, but that still takes time)
- Give you motivation to do things you were putting off, ie: school, work, or otherwise functioning as an independent person
- Stop your periods in one day (average seems to be 2-3 months, in my case it took years…but I’m an exception)
- Automatically make you pass
- Make you a superhero in bed
- Completely remove your body dysphoria (generally, some people make peace with their bits)
- Turn you gay
About the last one: some guys do experience a shift in sexuality after coming out.Â However, most of that seems to stem from being seen as a man rather than testosterone itself.Â Even guys who’ve had to stop T for a while continue to be attracted to men once their system has stabilised to their pre-T hormone levels.
What will testosterone do?Â It will simulate a male puberty thereby allowing you to look about how you would have if you’d been born with (functioning) testes.Â If the guys in your family are bears there is a good chance you will look like a bear.Â If the guys in your family are twinkish (like in mine) you’ll probably end up twinkish.Â It’s all about genetics and what you ended up with.